Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Remember to remember

Josie, I want to remember every little thing about you. Except, I realized just the other day, how easy it is to forget. You change so much every day.

Here's something I forgot. When you were six months old, we discovered the "wrist dance". When you were excited, you danced with your wrists by twisting them into little circles. You did this all the time. So much, that I never thought I needed to remember it.

When you started crawling, you stopped doing the wrist dance. And when you stopped doing it, I stopped remembering. It wasn't until I picked up your baby book the other day, that I even remembered what the wrist dance was. I had completely forgotten. It's just really hard to remember you being anything other than who and what you are today.

Because of that, I need to make a point to remember. Remember all the cute, adorable, crazy and sometimes absurd things you do. At every stage in life. I just don't want to forget.

That's why we have this blog. So we can remember. Remember our life together. Because all of these little memories make us who we are today.

So my darling Josie, at almost two and a half years old, these are some of the things I want to remember about you...

I want to remember your first time on roller skates. And how you didn't need me to teach you how to use them. And in fact, when I tried to help you, you quickly let me (and the entire skating rink) know how horrible of an idea you thought that was.



And here's something else, I want to remember how at one point, you slept with 7 stuffed animals. A cat, a dog, two bunnies, a monkey, a bear and my personal favorite, a Strawberry Shortcake doll. Each animal has an assigned place in your bed. They must be lined up and then strategically covered by the blanket before you lay down to sleep. If this processed is rushed, well, let's just say we've added an extra twenty minutes to bedtime to avoid what happens when you are rushed. :-)

I also want to remember how we sometimes find you asleep looking like this...


Another thing, I want to remember that whenever the KU fight song is played, we would always find you, pom poms in hand, dancing your little heart out. Outside of your father, you may be the biggest Jayhawk fan I know.


And lastly, Josie, I want you to know how much I love when you say, "Mommy you're so funny. And daddy's funny too." I love you smile at me when we're playing and say things like, "this is so fun." and "mommy, we're together." I love when you "cheers" us at least fifty times during each meal and if I put my cup back down without drinking first, you sternly remind me to "take a drink." I love how you request to wear your tutu daily and how "Dancing With the Stars" could quite possibly be your favorite thing to watch (outside of Santa Clause is Coming to Town and Frosty the Snowman). 

As I said, this is my attempt to remember. I know you won't always be the way you are today. In some ways, I'm sad because my sweet little girl is growing up. But on the other hand, I'm thankful because maybe some day down the road, "me do it" is not a phrase I hear all....day....long. :-)

No comments: